After Sybil was born in August, it was the perfect excuse to take newborn lifestyle photos! We had our first professional session taken the year before with Lawson. Afterwards we decided documenting our family each year was important to us. I couldn’t love the photos more and wanted to share them with you, as well as my tips for successful family photos.
Tips for Successful Family Photos
- Gather inspiration
- I searched Pinterest for newborn photos and pinned my favorites to a secret board
- Decide on the type of shoot you want (indoor or out, home or destination, posed or in the moment/lifestyle)
- Jim and I looked at my Pinterest board to help us decide what we liked best
- Find a photographer that specializes in the type of shoot you want
- Instagram is a great place to find a photographer. Search hashtags or look for photo credits on bloggers you already follow
- Determine the color scheme for your outfits
- Since Sybil was a newborn, I wanted soft neutrals and decided on grey, cream and blue with a little pink thrown in for the star
- Pick mom’s outfit first, followed by the kids and finally dad
- Dressing a post-baby body is no joke so I concentrated on me first
- Gap, Zara and H&M are great places for kids clothing
- Decide the timing that works best for you
- The best time for newborn photos is within the first 10 days since babies are still sleepy
- From Lawson’s birth, I knew recovery would take me longer so we decided to wait until Sybil was 8-12 weeks old
- Think about the time of day that has the best lighting in your house, as well as when your kids are least likely to be cranky
- Have fun!
- If you’re stressed, it will show in the photos. Lawson and Sybil were both fussy at times during our session, but that’s our normal life!
We loved our photographer, Lauren J Photography, and would highly recommend her. She’s coming out with a pregnancy package with shoots for maternity, hospital, newborn and first birthday. I love this idea and think she’s pretty brilliant!
photos by Lauren J. Photography